What´s new
Application for the KfW Student Loan only until 15.02.2021
Rooms in our student residences
Menus, Day care centres
The company
Important information for international students:

Application for the KfW Student Loan only until 15.02.2021!

Infos Coronavirus

Current information, FAQ's and other useful information in the Corona crisis

Counselling Centre Accommodation

We’ll answer your questions relating to housing and residence.

Online application

The admission application for our student residences is available here.

Halls of residence

Click here to see the locations of the individual properties.

Child support for mothers

Unmarried mothers are entitled to claim child support from the child’s father. The so-called care subsidy applies for the six weeks prior and eight weeks after the birth. If the mother cannot engage in gainful employment due to caring for and raising the child, the duration can be extended to four months prior to and three years after the child’s birth. Conversely, the three years after the birth may also apply for the child’s father.

Any other valid subsidy obligations (e.g. other underaged children etc.) take preference when calculating the subsidy amount. There is also an excess so that, depending on income, no care subsidy must be paid or can be drawn on from the mother’s/father’s end.

The departments for guardianship at the youth welfare offices, the Hamburg public legal services office (Öffentliche Rechtsauskunft- und Vergleichsstelle Hamburg (ÖRA)), lawyers and notaries all offer advice on support claims for mothers and their children.

Parental allowance

A parental allowance is a wage replacement payment applicable to all (including studying) parents whose main or usual place of residence is in Germany. They must live in a household with their child, raise and look after the child, and not be engaged in any full-time gainful employment (up to 30 hours a week). The number of hours a week spent studying is irrelevant.

Parental allowance cannot be used by students with a residency permit as per § 16 of the German Residence Act!

The Family portal and “Parental allowance and leave – The federal act on parental allowance and leave” brochure issued by the Federal Ministry for Families, Seniors, Women and Youth provide detailed information.

The relevant parental allowance centre can arrange advisory services and applications.
The local child benefits office provides counselling, and applications can also be lodged here. A list of Hamburg´s child benefits offices can be found here.

The Counselling Centre for Social & International Affairs – BeSI also offers counselling on this.

BAföG (German law on higher education grants) for child raising

The BAföG contains a series of special rules for studying parents, which are summarised here: https://www.bafög.de/de/schwangerschaft-und-kindererziehung-199.php (only available in German).

BAföG cannot be used by students with a residency permit as per § 16 of the German Residence Act! The local BAföG office will advise you on this.

Housing allowance

A housing allowance according to the German housing allowance act (WoGG) is granted as an extra rent subsidy for used living space (as a general subsidy for home/apartment owners). The Counselling Centre for Social & International Affairs – BeSI also offers counselling on this.

Child benefit (Kinderzuschlag)

Couples or single parents can receive a children’s benefit (Kinderzuschlag) if their income is adequate for their personal needs, but not for the needs of the whole family. The benefit serves to prevent the need for aid as defined by Volume II of the German Social Code (unemployment benefit II / social benefits). Services according to the German Social Code Volume II and the children’s benefit (Kinderzuschlag) are thus mutually exclusive. The maximum children’s benefit (Kinderzuschlag) for every underaged child living in a common household is 205 € a month.


In order to receive a children’s benefit (Kinderzuschlag), the parents’ income and assets must be between a minimum and maximum limit. The minimum income limit for gross income is 600 € for single parents and 900 € for couples. Housing allowances (Wohngeld) and child benefit (Kindergeld) are not classified as income. The asset allowances are based on the rules in the German Social Code Volume II. The maximum income limit constitutes the parents’ needs in terms of the unemployment benefit II, their share in appropriate living costs, and the total children’s benefit (Kinderzuschlag). If the income exceeds or falls short of these limits, the children’s benefit (Kinderzuschlag) cannot be granted. The child’s income (e.g. subsidy payments, half-orphan benefit) is taken into account when calculating the children’s benefit (Kinderzuschlag), and is deducted from the maximum children’s benefit (Kinderzuschlag) amount (205 €). If the child’s income exceeds 205 €, no children’s benefit (Kinderzuschlag) is granted, regardless of the parents’ income calculation.


Children’s benefit (Kinderzuschlag) cannot be used by students with a residency permit as per § 16 of the German Residence Act!


The “Children’s benefit (Kinderzuschlag) info sheet” issued by the Family Benefits Office provides detailed information on the children’s benefit (Kinderzuschlag).. The local Family Benefits Offices of the Federal Employment Agency can arrange counselling services and applications.


The Counselling Centre for Social & International Affairs – BeSI also offers counselling on this.


Unemployment benefit (Arbeitslosengeld II)

Students completing studies entitled to BAföG aid cannot receive unemployment benefits (ALG II, also known as Hartz IV). The benefit exclusion applies regardless of whether or not students actually receive the BAföG assistance. If the BAföG-compatible course is suspended, e.g. due to holidays or part-time studies, they may be entitled to receive ALG II unemployment benefits, insofar as they are proven to be in need, and comply with the obligation to cooperate (make efforts to get involved in the job market). The latter ceases to apply if the student has a child under three.

The ALG II unemployment benefit comprises the subsistence protection benefits (the so-called standard rate of maximum 446 € for singles and 401 € for couples), accommodation costs and heating (i.e. the proportionate rent including heating but excluding electricity), contributions for health and nursing insurance, and any additional needs (e.g. additional services for mothers-to-be, additional services for single parents).

The unemployment benefit (Arbeitslosengeld II) is a subordinate benefit, i.e. it only applies if the necessary requirement cannot be met by self help, family members obliged to subsidise, or other social benefits to be requested in preference (e.g. housing allowance, child allowance). Pregnant students and single parents who are studying cannot claim subsidies from their parents.

In cases of particular hardship, students can request unemployment benefits in the form of a loan. Particular hardship exists if, for example, a course is soon to be completed and financing had previously been secured but is now no longer available through no fault of the student’s. This may be the case for solo parents who are studying, or students with chronic illnesses or disabilities who cannot work, etc.

These services cannot be used by students with a residency permit as per § 16 of the German Residence Act!

Applications are lodged at the local job centre. Persons residing in Hamburg can find their job centre here, everyone else can find theirs here.

The Counselling Centre for Social & International Affairs – BeSI also offers counselling on this.



Counselling Centre for Social & International Affairs – BeSI

Grindelallee 9

3rd floor

20146 Hamburg

Telephone: +49 / 40 / 419 02 - 155

Fax: +49 / 40 / 419 02 - 6180


Telephone Hours

Mon 12.00 pm - 3.00 pm

Tue, Thu 9.30 am - 12.00 pm

Wed 1.30 pm - 3.30 pm

  • BeSI – Counselling Centre for Social & International Affairs

    BeSI - Beratungszentrum Soziales & Internationales

    Confidential and free counselling for social, personal and financial matters

  • We offer the free kids meal!

    Children of studying parents and who are aged 12 or under can eat for free at our cafeterias and some cafés. Take advantage of the kids meal offer…

  • CampusNest Harburg


    The CampusNest Harburg provides students and teachers at the Hamburg University of Technology campus with flexible, caring child-minding services – even outside normal working hours.