What´s new
Application for the KfW Student Loan only until 15.02.2021
Rooms in our student residences
Menus, Day care centres
The company
Important information for international students:

Application for the KfW Student Loan only until 15.02.2021!

Infos Coronavirus

Current information, FAQ's and other useful information in the Corona crisis

Counselling Centre Accommodation

We’ll answer your questions relating to housing and residence.

Online application

The admission application for our student residences is available here.

Halls of residence

Click here to see the locations of the individual properties.

The following FAQ's have been collected for (prospective) tenants  in the halls of residence of Studierendenwerk. 

All other students can refer to their FAQ's here.


I would like to sign my contract, give notice of termination or similar. The BeWo is currently closed.

The advisory centre Accommodation – BeWo is currently closed, but can be reached by telephone from Monday to Thursday from 9.00 to 16.00 hours and Friday from 9.00 to 13.00 hours on 040 / 41 902 268 We also answer all e-mails promptly: Please write to: bewo@studierendenwerk-hamburg.de . We always send rental contracts to you in advance by e-mail. Please check your email inbox regularly and if necessary also check your spam folder. Please scan the printed and signed contract and mail it back to us.


On the day of moving in you will receive the original rental contract.



I will move into the residential complex soon, what will the move look like?

The property management or our tutors will contact you by e-mail before you move in to discuss your move in.


On moving in days, we strictly ensure that personal contact is kept to a minimum. We therefore assign move-in periods in advance by e-mail, so that it is ensured that only two people meet at any one time.



I am moving out at the end of the month, what do I need to consider?

In principle, extracts can be brought forward as far as possible. Your property management will check this possibility by asking all those moving out in writing or by telephone. When you move out, you have the option of leaving the key in an envelope in the property manager's mailbox. In this way, a contactless handover of the room can be ensured.


Rent payments

Can you forgive me rent payments?

No. However, we can suspend the debit of the rent and we will agree on an individual instalment payment. In this case we will contact you with a separate letter. This letter will specify the installment payment agreed with you.

Rent payments

Can I pay my rent later?

Yes, it's possible. No one should lose their home because of the Corona pandemic right now! We are therefore granting you a moratorium on payments. Please contact your responsible administrator immediately by telephone. We will arrange the modalities with you.

Rent payments

I have lost my job because of the Corona pandemic and I cannot pay my rent in full. What can I do?

Please pay the amount you can afford in advance. We will agree on an instalment payment for the remaining amount. Please contact your responsible administrator immediately.


Rent payments

Can I transfer the rent later if I have lost my job due to the Corona pandemic?

Please contact your responsible administrator immediately. We can agree that the bank debit will be suspended for the coming month. Reminder fees will not be charged. Nevertheless, we will send you an overview of the outstanding amounts every month. This way you and we both keep track.

Rent payments

Can I pay my rent in smaller instalments if I have got into difficulties due to the Corona pandemic?

We understand that the current exceptional situation caused by the Corona pandemic may lead to payment difficulties. We would be happy to work with you to find a practicable solution. Please contact us by e-mail or telephone, for example to arrange payment in instalments. We will find an individual solution for you!

There are no additional costs for the payment by instalments.

Rent payments

I can no longer pay my rent in cash, where can I pay my rent?

As the Counselling Centre Accommodation – BeWo advice centre is currently closed, it is not possible to pay your rent or deposit in cash. Please transfer the rent.

Financial hardship

I have lost my job - am I now entitled to housing benefit?

Please look up the answer to this question here.

Cancellations / Extensions

I would like to cancel my rental contract at short notice, is that possible?

If you wish to cancel at short notice due to the Corona pandemic, this is generally possible. Please contact the Counselling Centre Accommodation – BeWo. Please note that you are nevertheless obliged to pay the rent until the end of your tenancy agreement and to hand over your room in a condition in accordance with the contract.

Cancellations / Extensions

I have cancelled my apartment in due time and would like to stay longer due to the current situation

If your room/apartment has not yet been sublet, you can withdraw the cancellation. If we already have a follow-up rental, it may be possible to move to another room. request to move. Please contact the team at the Counselling Centre Accommodation – BeWo. They will be happy to help you!


Cancellations / Extensions

Can I extend my rental contract?

Yes, this is possible, provided we have not already sublet your room. Please send us your matriculation certificate for the SoSe 2020. We will check whether your tenancy agreement can be extended until 30.09.2020. Please send your request to bewo@studierendenwerk-hamburg.de.



I have signed a tenancy agreement, but now I cannot move in because of the corona pandemic

Do I have the possibility to cancel at short notice?


Yes, we will accommodate you in this exceptional situation in the case of short-term cancellation. Please contact the Counselling Centre Accommodation – BeWo.

Cancellation after the start of the rental contract is not possible. You can cancel your rental contract at short notice to the end of the month. However, the rent for the month must be paid.

Dealing with Corona in the residence halls of the Studierendenwerk

Is there a danger that my residential complex will be closed and I will lose my apartment?

No, the dorms will not be closed. If there is a case of infection in the dormitory, each case will be documented by the local health department. In this case, quarantine regulations apply to the person(s) affected.

Dealing with Corona in the residence halls of the Studierendenwerk

How does dormitory life currently look like - are meetings or parties allowed in shared flats or on balconies?

No, partying in shared flats, common rooms, balconies and open spaces is not allowed! Since 22 March 2020 a nationwide uniform ban on contact has been in force. The most important points are:

  • maintain a distance of at least 1.5 m from other people. Pay attention to the distance rule in your flat share, in the corridor, in the dormitory and also outside.
  • You are only allowed to travel together with a maximum of 2 people.
  • The preparation and consumption of food in public places is prohibited. This also applies to barbecues and picnics in the garden or on terraces and balconies.
  • You are not allowed to celebrate in apartments, corridors, common rooms or on balconies!
  • The whole regulation can be found here.


We appeal to your common sense: Be considerate of each other, show solidarity and help to slow down the spread of the virus!


Dealing with Corona in the residence halls of the Studierendenwerk

I suspect I'm infected, what should I do?

If there is a suspicion of infection with the coronavirus, contact your doctor exclusively by telephone or contact the emergency service of the health insurance company on 116117.


Persons who have had contact with a person confirmed to be ill with Covid-19 should contact the health office responsible for their district directly, even if they do not show any symptoms! You can find out which health office is responsible for you by postcode here.  Please also inform your property management immediately.

Dealing with Corona in the residence halls of the Studierendenwerk

What happens if an infection with the Covid19 pathogen has been detected in my flat share/ in my corridor?

How will I be protected?


The infected person must enter domestic quarantine and may only leave it after 14 days. We maintain regular telephone contact with the infected person.

The care of the sick person is currently organised by the dormitory's solidary neighbourhood help - nobody has to fear that they will not be cared for because of an illness. We support our house and home self-management and all other volunteers on site in caring for sick residents.

For the safety of the other residents, in cases of proven illness, a bathroom is reserved completely for this person. 

Dealing with Corona in the residence halls of the Studierendenwerk

What can I do to protect myself?

The best way to protect yourself is to follow the following hygiene rules:

  • Regular washing of hands
  • Wash your hands regularly and very thoroughly.
  • Hygienic coughing and sneezing Cough and sneeze only in the crook of your arm, turning to the side. Use a handkerchief and dispose of it immediately afterwards.
  • Keep your distance! Not only to sick people! Since 22.3.2020, there have been extensive restrictions, including the distance requirement. So keep at least 1.50 m distance to your fellow men.


You can find the most important hygiene tips here.

  • Beratungszentrum Studienfinanzierung – BeSt

    BeSt - Beratungszentrum Studienfinanzierung

    Das BeSt berät zu allen wesentlichen Instrumenten der Studienfinanzierung: BAföG, Stipendien, Bildungskredit, Studienkredit, Darlehen.

  • Beratungszentrum Soziales & Internationales – BeSI

    BeSI - Beratungszentrum Soziales & Internationales

    Vertrauliche und kostenlose Beratung in sozialen, persönlichen und wirtschaftlichen Fragen